Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A bit distracted

Ugh, I just watched a super sad movie and now I feel like crap. Does that ever happen to you? I popped this movie in (I guess that's an antiquated term now--I "slid in a dvd") thinking it would be a stupid, light-hearted romantic comedy that would take me away from physiology for a while, and instead, I end up sobbing (SOBBING) my eyes out and wishing I'd just stuck to the textbooks. It totally snuck up on me!

I'm not going to tell you what the movie was because you'll all make fun of me. It was one of those movies that you see previews for (before a movie you rented, not even on the big screen) and make fun of because it looks so brainless. Like, girlfriend-meets-the-parents-and-they-have-a-really-awkward-weekend brainless. But you're running out of things to put on your netflix queue, so you thought, what the hell. By the way, if anyone has any great movie suggestions, I'm all ears.

Anyway, physio exam tomorrow and I am not a happy camper. But as per my usual, I can't seem to study after 8:30 pm or so, no matter how badly I need to (bad habit for a med student, let me tell you), so I'm thinking about hitting the sack. It was a lovely 76 degrees today, which somewhat redeems the snow last week. But hey! Even though I'm not into living in the frigid snow, I love to visit it (briefly), and if I was going to go somewhere chilly, this is totally where I would go right now:



Incredible, huh? It looks like a toy town. It's Sisimiut, Greenland, and it looks like an amazing place to visit.



I told you--way cold. I love icebergs. Check out this awesome slideshow about Arctic traveling. Beautiful!

1 comment:

J. A. Broussard said...

I'm sorry: if I lived in that town, I'd be the guy whose solid black with a dark black trim haunted Gothic mansion (complete with gargoyles and flying buttresses) got cut out of the shot. It's too perfect. Needs a little flaw or something, like a crazy wino racing down the streets--as it sits, it's too fake.

That is, of course, assuming that everything should represent some abstract, timeless Truth, which of course everyone grants, right...? Okay, I'll shut up. It is actually a really cute looking town that I would actually probably enjoy visiting; I'm just afraid they wouldn't like me.

But movies?
Pride and Prejudice (long one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle)
Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson)
Hudsucker Proxy
Spanglish (try to ignore Adam Sandler and enjoy Paz Vega)
Dark Knight (buy the frieking thing)
El Labyrinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)

Or, for more mindless entertainment:
North by Northwest
(Just for the laughs) Lady and the Highwayman
Anything Monty Python
Dune (it was fun)
Stardust (depending on how fast your cynicism mounts)
And, says the Christian, despite it's obvious hatred of everything that matters, I really liked the one from His Dark Materials,
The Golden Compass.

(And, I actually would like the town, but I'd never publicly admit it.)