Saturday, August 8, 2009

Armadillos and things

Microbiology fun fact #1*: There are two natural reservoirs for Mycobacterium leprae, the organism that causes leprosy: humans and armadillos.

Who knew?

I know that people like my dear, dear friend Mississippi Brad call armadillos varmints and use them as target practice (does anyone know if Brad reads this blog?), but I can't help it. I think they're adorable. Seriously, how sweet would it be to be able to curl up into a little armored ball when you get annoyed with the world?

Also, check out the Pink Fairy armadillo:

Isn't it teeny weeny and cute? I do love things in miniature.

*One week into our microbiology course, it's becoming abundantly clear that there aren't a whole lot of "fun facts" in the field. Lots of nasty, terrible, tedious facts, but not too many that I would call "fun". I'm sure that my classmates can attest to that. So Fun Fact #1 might be the first in a very short series--I didn't want to get your hopes up and then dash them to the ground. Ta ta!

1 comment:

J. A. Broussard said...

Astonishingly enough, I knew. If it's completely unrelated to anything that could ever be useful in real life, there's a good chance that I might know it.

And I must beg to disagree with you and your lovely hair, and not just so you know I'm still reading your posts: microbiology has tons of fun facts--just look at a stentor. How can anything about a stentor not be cool? "If I have life, energy, sense, will, so does a rotifer."--Dillard

Now that I'm done with my momentary rant, kudos on the armadillo. I'm peculiarly fond of them, and their name is perhaps second only to "aardvark" in its spiffiness.

JB